Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Mcculloch 3200 Chainsaw Won'T Start



I've cleaned carburator, changed all fuel lines, replaced primer bulb, and verified it has a spark, also, replaced plug.
Machine looks new, piston is in excellent shape, muffler is not clogged.
Where do I look next?

When you cleaned the carb,, did you install a kit in it with the new diaghragms gaskets adjusted the meetering lever??? What carb exactly do you have on it??? Let us know the pros will get you dialed in real soon!!!!!! Roger

Try spoon feeding it down the spark plug hole with a tablespoon of fuel. Then try to start it with half throttle, no choke.

No, I did not put a kit in the carb because it looks new. I did clean it, and it started and ran for a few minutes; however, i could not adjust the high speed. It would bog down, not loaded.
The carb is a Zama M36, C1Q
Thanks for the response,

Will it start and not run with a load or will it not start?

Marbobj,
It will not start. Fuel is getting to the plug; it may be flooding. I adjusted the metering lever this morning. It didn't help.
I have the fuel (supply) going to the carb port. The fuel (return) to the large port on the primer bulb. How far does this return line need to extend into the fuel tank? I have it in about an inch.

First dump all the fuel out of the tank. Then with full choke and no throttle turn the engine over about five times: this will get all the fuel out of the carb.
Then pull out the plug and with full throttle and no choke pull it over about ten times. Then put a teaspoon of fuel into the plug hole, put a good plug back in it, and try to start it with full throttle, no choke. If it doesn't fire after a number of pulls you may have either a compression or spark problem.

Marbobj,
I did the test, as you stated, and it wouldn't fire. I also checked the spark and it is ok, so, that leaves compression, and, I do not have a compression gauge.
Thanks so much for your help.

A lot of time if you have cylinder/piston scoring that results in compression loss, you can see that type of damage through the exhaust port with the muffler off. Normally with a compression problem you can't get the saw started at all. It usually doesn't just run poorly. Since you had it running recently I wonder if you may not still have a flooded condition.
Do you know what the history of the saw is? Is this one you just recently bought or acquired?

Yes, I just recently acquired the saw. I do not know the history, but it looks almost new.
I may rebuild the carb to be sure. The piston has no scoring, as far as I can tell thru the exhaust port.
Thanks for your help....






Tags: start, start with, throttle choke, with full, exhaust port, fuel tank, full throttle, full throttle choke, just recently, over about, piston scoring, plug hole, primer bulb