Monday, March 10, 2014

Do You Make Your Alarm System "Known" By Sticker



Hi,
For those whoa are using an alarm system not installed by ADT or similar: did you place stickers outside to make your alarm known or not? If so what type of stickers are you using?

There has been much debate over the do or dont of alarm system Decals. I do see where youre coming from.....
I worked at an automotive sound and security shop, And the consensus there was Any theif with Internet access can get all the wiring and operation information to get past your alarm, if he Knows ahead of time, what it is.....True point.....
BUT......A former Alarm installer in the area ( Company name not provided for Security reasons--) Heisted a bunch of Lawn Signs and some Plastic Dummy Cameras, and sold them to community residents for 20 Bucks.......The Break -in rate has dramatically dropped, with no other Viable explanation.
Thats sort of a Toss up.......Yes the signs deter the would be thieves....But a pro...with prior knowledge of how a system is designed, pretty much has a Virtual Key to your home.

My thought on the security yard signs and stickers are... Install them where an intruder would expect a security system to be install, ie. million dollar houses or businesses. The average Joe homes I would not install the stickers because it may bring attention to your house What is the owner trying to protect?
I do have an alarm in my house, but refuse to advertise the point that I have things of value inside the house that are protected with an alarm system.

I am of the school of thought that believes decals and yard signs are a huge deterrent. I have heard little old ladies claim that they didn't want signs or stickers because they wanted to catch the burglar. Forget that, I want to protect my family, the last thing I want to do is catch a criminal in my house. Most thieves will avoid an alarm system and move on to a perceived easier target.
Spanky50401, The average Joe homes I would not install the stickers because it may bring attention to your house What is the owner trying to protect?
I am an average Joe, but I have security systems in place to protect my family--NOT my stuff. I could lose every material item in my position, but as long as I have my family, I'm good.

I also think the signs/decals are a good deterrant. While you won't stop the determined thief, most will look for an easier target.

Are you recommending a generic or a ADT or Brinks decall?

I'll add my 2-cents as I used to install systems many years ago. The decal is your first line of defense, when it works, you will never know it but your neighbor might. As for a decal, I would like to make my own: Alarm System Customized Specifically For This Home. Send the message that your system does not follow any standard design, exactly what the comments above were referring to. Add something like the system is monitored 24/7 by wireless communications and they will think twice before entering.
When I had an opportunity to talk with home owners I would always suggest something different for their installation. I remember one where they installed a dummy panel right where the crooks would expect it, lights and all. I always have wished I could have the statistics for the homes I worked on as I do believe they were better protected.
For several commercial jobs where they had calling direct to the police, but no one in the building, the choice was to conceal the system and hope the boys in blue would arrive before the bad guys departed.
Bud

I always try to put a sticker on all four sides of a home at minimum. Also, I like to put the alarmnet warming stickers on the NID. Nothing pisses you off more than having a burglar cut your incoming drop, outgoing line into house and all friggin' cable lines. Seen it done. The stickers deter damage to the home (broken windows, kicked in doors and cut telco lines.)

Originally Posted by Unclediezel
There has been much debate over the do or dont of alarm system Decals. I do see where youre coming from.....
I worked at an automotive sound and security shop, And the consensus there was Any theif with Internet access can get all the wiring and operation information to get past your alarm, if he Knows ahead of time, what it is.....True point.....
BUT......A former Alarm installer in the area ( Company name not provided for Security reasons--) Heisted a bunch of Lawn Signs and some Plastic Dummy Cameras, and sold them to community residents for 20 Bucks.......The Break -in rate has dramatically dropped, with no other Viable explanation.
Thats sort of a Toss up.......Yes the signs deter the would be thieves....But a pro...with prior knowledge of how a system is designed, pretty much has a Virtual Key to your home.
So, if you have an ADT system, you simply use some other companies sticker. That way you get the scare value of the sign but the pro will know the wrong system if they come to break in, hopefully causing them to be caught.

get alarmnet stickers if not in the network?

Originally Posted by destruct05
get alarmnet stickers if not in the network?
ebay
local installer
dumpster of alarm company






Tags: make, your, alarm, system, known, sticker, alarm system, stickers because, your alarm, youre coming from worked automotive, access wiring, access wiring operation