Monday, May 7, 2012

Dress Like A Hippie Bohemian Freespirit

Long skirt, flowery top, an ASPCA bracelet, granny sweater, and moccasins... just a regular, everyday outift for me.


If you feel like you have that free-spirit attitude and a love of life and nature and all that's beautiful, but you just don't have a sense of style, I can let you in on some little things that I do to dress in the same free spirited way that I live my life. Hopefully, I can inspire you to do the same for yourself.


Instructions


1. First of all, I know why I dress the way I do. I have an emotional connection with my clothes. They are comfortable, they appeal to my sense of beauty and art, they flatter my body, and they allow me to express myself in ways that I wouldn't be able to otherwise. So the question you need to ask yourself is: "Why do I want to dress this way?" If you don't have any good reasons, then maybe this style is not for you.


2. The things that I wear the most that seem to get a "you look like a hippie" response consistently are:


-Long, flowing skirts (in solids or prints)


-Lots of beaded and/or hemp jewelry


-Moccasins, shoes with lots of details, and/or boots (or barefoot)


-Peasant tops, vintage blouses, and "granny sweaters"


-head scarves, shawls, ponchos, and wraps


-vintage or homemade dresses


Now, if you like these kinds of clothes, then you're on the right track. It's all about getting these items, and then mixing and matching all your different pieces until you get a look you like. My favorite stores are places like Goodwill, Plato's Closet, Scavenger Hunt (or any vintage clothing store), online retailers, and believe it or not, good ol' garage sales.


3. I love accessories! I tend to pick up a lot of costume jewelry on sale at stores like Meijer or Claire's or at local flea markets, garage sales, or second hand stores. I also get a lot from friends and family who get inspired when they see unique pieces and think of me. So bottom line: Accessorize! Find neat jewelry, scarves, and even purses that capture who you are.


4. I love homemade items. I craft my own jewelry and I crochet, so I can make a lot of items for myself. But I also wear a lot of other items made by other crafters. Etsy is a great place to look for hand made dresses, jewelry, purses, shirts, skirts, pants, shawls, etc. Search Google for other great wearable crafts.


5. Yes... I wear tie-dye. And why not? Every good hippie needs a little tie-dye. So find some and buy it OR make your own! We talked about making stuff already, but this is something that ANYONE can do! Just pick up a tie-dye kit at a craft store, find some t-shirts, tank tops, or skirts and make a day of it!


6. I wear things that have a lot of meaning to me, so if you want to dress in the same way, you need to find some things that have special meaning to you. Some examples for me:


-Peace sign buttons, pins, scarves, etc. I am a huge believer in the power of peace, and I let it show.


-Apparel or Accessories that showcase my volunteer work and organizations, such as my Relay for Life t-shirts, my ASPCA bracelet, my Shakespeare festival pin, or my Music for All bracelet.


-T-shirts from plays and musicals I have been in like Into the Woods, Grease, and A Little Christmas Spirit or places I have worked, like The Girl Scouts of Michigan Trails.


7. I have confidence in who I am. I may not always BE confident in life, but I know who I am inside, and I love me. I wear my clothes as an extension of me... not to hide myself or to make the world see a different person other than who I am inside. So it's important that you have that kind of confidence as well. Otherwise, you're not wearing the clothes, the clothes are wearing you.


8. Finally...wear what you want. Some people claim that jeans are not very "hippie." I don't care. I like jeans. I wear them. A lot. And that's fine. Why? Because you can't be happy in your clothes if you don't wear what YOU want to wear! So, make a choice. Pick what appeals to you. And enjoy!







Tags: things that, find some, that have, ASPCA bracelet, dress same, garage sales, have that